Here’s a general con prep list I use to bring to cons. There’s some lightsaber specific stuff for when I do Jedi/ESG shows, but it’s handy stuff to bring for anyone that’s showing off electronic equipment.
Con Prep List
Carrying Cases and bags (Pack as light as possible.)
- Suitcase for large costumes and equipment. Organizers only.
- Backpack for single costumes
- Waterproof bin or bags for tools & supplies
Tools (A good Multitool will have all of these)
- Hammer or other striking tool (A multitool will usually do)
- Gorilla Tape or Duct Tape (Gorilla tape is awesome)
- Scotch Tape
- Masking Tape
- Velcro Tape
- Double Sided Fabric Tape
- Sticky Tabs/Sticky Tack
- Safety Pins
- String or Twine
- Paper or notepad
- Laptop or Tablet + Charger (For demo personnel only)
- Cellphone Charger
- Power Strip
- Extension Cord
Computer/Electronics Supplies (If you are bringing demo equipment)
- Organizational/Promo Cards
- Your Personal Business Card
- Water Bottle
- Food (Granola Bars, etc)
- Personal Bag for stuff (I use a messenger bag)
- ID, Credit cards and Cash.
- Personal medications, glasses, contacts, etc.
Business supplies (Only if you are an organizer)
- Money box or Safe
- Lock & keys
- First Aid Kit
- Table Cloth & Banners
- Banner Stands
- Wire Shelving
Lightsaber Specific Supplies
- Electrical Tape
- Soldering Iron & Solder (If you have it)
- Wires & connectors
- Battery Chargers
General Pre Con Prep
- Know your travel plans
- Know where you are going and why (Is the event a benefit)?
- Make sure your event contact numbers are in your phone
- Know who your contact is
- Tickets and badges should be in order and in your wallet
- Know your schedule
1 Week Before the Con
- Organize, launder & try on any costumes
- Build out, test and organize all displays and equipment
- Doing this well allow you time to handle rips and tears, and order new equipment and any replacement parts from Amazon.
2-3 Days Before Con
- Contact your con contact and make sure everything is still going according to plan
- Contact your team members to ensure everyone is prepared
- Make sure your routine is ready to show. Do not add any more changes to it. Bug Fixing only
- If driving, ensure all vehicles are in working order.
- Otherwise, ensure all travel plans are solidified. (Tickets, rides, etc)
Night Before Con
- Contact all your team members by 8pm the night before to ensure nothing happened
- CHECK THE WEATHER. Make appropriate arrangements for rain, snow, extreme heat or cold etc.
- Coats, hats scarf, gloves for winter, boots for snow
- Umbrella + raincoat for rain. Make sure your electronics are packed safely
- Sunscreen & summer clothing for extreme heat.
- Charge all your equipment, THEN pack it. Do not pack in the morning.
- Make sure all of your electronics ARE OFF when they are packed
- If you are bringing a computer for anything, turn it on and off, and make sure no windows updates or other BS will occur.
- If FLYING, make sure all your IDs and Passports are organized. Ensure you will NOT be carrying any blades, tools or anything that could be used as a weapon on your person.
- If possible, practice your routine, double check your software, etc. Ensure everything works.
- Double check all equipment and electronics are working
- Fill up water bottles
- Arrange bags by the door
- Pick out & arrange your clothes for the next day. (Shirt, underpants, socks, etc)
- Find your shoes, wallet, phone, glasses, etc. Everything you need to leave the house. Put it in one place.
Day of the Con
- Wake up 1 hour before so you have time
- Double check equipment, check routes, etc. Visually confirm all NEEDED props are there (Lightsabers, computers, etc)
- Use the bathroom before you leave
- Eat Breakfast
- It’s safest to arrive at least 3 hours before your event. 1 For prep, 2 for Shit happens. 2 hours is enough to drive back or head to the store to get any last minute supplies.
- TRAVEL TIME AND ROAD CONDITIONS ARE ADDED ON TO THIS!!!